Saturday, August 2, 2008

Where did all the good Rangers go?

Even before I turned it was rare to find a Dark Ranger. Our Code made if very hard to be Dark and a Ranger. Being Dark and reading over the Code, your head would spin....being Drow and reading over the Code, gave me a headache...how was I suppose to take on the role of a Drow and still be the Ranger I was?

The Guild stood a little differently now. Kelly had stepped down as Second to head the Royal Rangers, Light sided Rangers that would answer to the Human Queen and King. Park had been raised to Second of the Guild, and I still held my rank as Lt....getting more and more unsure of what the rank ever did for me....but I still liked it.

Park was soon to follow and join me with the Drow, but not cause her Sister had turned. Neither of us turned for our own reason I believe, we made that mistake...but she made a far better Drow then I ever did.

At the time, Arthur, Maya, Kelly, and Seat were Officers, Samo was a Trainer...Jacko would add Brice to the mix sometime later. But looking at how the guild once stood in question over if it was too "Good" to be allow you to be "Dark"...was thrown out the window. Now half of the ranking Rangers were Dark, two of which, Park and I led the Guild in Jacko's absence. Now no matter how much you press it, a lot of people starting out find it hard to wrap the idea that Guilds are neutral...if you have a guild led by a Drow, I would say that would intimated a number of people approaching you to join up. There were calls to have Park step down...then I would be sure to follow, but Jacko was good to squash this, he was good at backing us up no matter what path we took.

There was a time, when even I looked and wondered what the purpose of a Guild was, and how it could hold, but now I look back and understand Jacko more and more...the only difference was time, and understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What has become of Jacko Stawberry? I miss his eyepatch. Arthur remembers those days well. Thank you for reminding him Katlin.

It was one of the most difficult times for him. He stepped up to be a Ranger Trainer but found his whole time consumed with requests to train (and he was a different timezone from most). His problem though was that he loved encouraging others.

Then came the "whose side are you on?" pressure. EW was no place for a hobbit in those days. Arthur barely kept alive. Elves were suspicious of humans, drow would launch attacks and then the Royal Rangers emerged. Poor Arthur got sucked into warfare when he wanted to just be himself and treat all as individuals.

I think Arthur tried setting up a "neutral Rangers" group to help keep him sane...