Saturday, August 2, 2008

Be Bad, Not Drow!

Just before I turned, Grace had gone back and revisited the Underworld and torn it up and started anew. She had placed a new Dragon Wyre, Vexxus' Tooth had been knocked off to a nub and the Underworld had been ripped right out of the ground. Now, instead of a dark foreboding swamp, and probably the best Underworld I have seen and terrified to enter...there stood a peaceful valley. Dwarves had to share the cliffs with the Orc camp just below, and then there was the Dark Cathedral, the new home of the Drow and Minions alike.

It was so wrong in so many ways. For one, no one was afraid to enter Dark land anymore...people wandered in, and were surprised and constantly ranting how unfair it was to end up captured/tortured/dead cause they had no way of knowing this was "Dark" land. Drow are meant to be underground...they had a good thing...now they were exposed. Elves hide on the ridges over the Dark Cathedral were always watching, now with an easy arrow shot of all minions without leaving their land. The only rule in our favor now was that we were the only ones that could start a fight on our land...that didn't stop Elves from shooting us from above, or the Humans from plotting raids.

I saw a new light, a new side, a new world when I went dark. It went deeper and further then I could personally take my character, I couldn't take myself there. For the first weeks after I turned, I hid in the Dark Valley....from those angry at me for leaving them, those shocked that I had done this, and those that wanted to save me. Almost as soon as I turned I wanted out, but just as I had done it for the wrong reasons, I stayed for the same and I faced all the anger, confusion, and sadness.

Even looking back, I never enjoyed being a Drow, still today, I would not put on that grey skin and white hair again and take on the roll. I do admire those that can play the roll, they are far better RPers then I if they can keep to the character. This doesn't mean that I couldn't be bad, I just couldn't be Drow.

No comments: