Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's RP...it's not real...is it?

We are always told, its RP, keep it IC, don't let it slip. Well, even the best of RPers, no matter the number of years they have behind them, let it slip. I don't count myself as one of these long time RPers, I haven't spent 5 years in group chats writing book length posts as I spin the scene around my actions. I my first taste of RP was the moment my avatar's feet touched the stone path through the Forest of Eldemar in Everwind. I watched, I learned, I tried, and after letting go some, I have become to take a much lighter feel to my RP, and enjoy where it takes me.

Doesn't mean I don't get carried away, I have had RP rip up my roots and my safety nets and throw me to the ground. I have been so deep into my character and into what is happening, my heart go wild, my fingers can't keep up with my thoughts and actions, I feel like I'm falling, and its not that I'm afraid, far from it, I'm thrilled and I want to keep falling cause it feels like I'm flying.

Then there are times that just roll over me and leave me gasping, wondering how on earth ANY keeps this from slipping OOC.

There have been times I have scared myself. I lost my footing once, walking around the rim of the underworld, just as Jacko had placed the Ranger Quest. We knew one of the pieces was hidden in or around the underworld, as I searched, I lost my footing and fell. Next thing I know I'm standing in the swamp, running through rocks that aren't solid, and cliffs too steep to climb. I had seen Drow head down into the Underworld and now I just wanted OUT! The Underworld was build so it wasn't easy to get in or out, only one clear path in, and finding it when you are in a panic is almost impossible. ((note this was when I was still fairly green, new to my title of Lt. and I hadn't yet met Samo or his bow, so my fear was solely on the Drow and Orc and not this Dark Human))

I escaped unharmed, all but my heart, that had been left somewhere behind me...I still remember how shaken I was. I look back and have to smile, at how scared I was, and think now how I have little fear to walk into an Underworld and spend hours searching for lost Druid items and care not if a Drow walks up behind me.

But that moment had been just my own mind working against me. How about an RP that just makes you want to RUN! How about a moment as you are watching a ritual sacrifice take place, and it all goes wrong? and instead of locking the portal and rid the Realm of the darkness consuming it, instead you bring forth the most horrible and terrible of all Demons to stalk the Realm? How about as you watch in horror as they take to the sky, as everyone scatters, and you are fighting to protect those that have fallen, and then you stand, and its quiet, till you feel something hot and sticky drip down from above you, brush past your face as it falls and soaks into your cloths. I turned my eyes above me to find a Demon, what had been the Elf Queen Dream, now hovering above me, gaping mouth and drilling drizzling down on me. If this had been a movie I was waiting for it to lunge and snap my head of at the neck, but as this was Everwind, I got a chance to run!

No comments: